I Give This Poem 4 Out of 5 Stars

I Give This Poem 4 out of 5 Stars

I’m tired of playing critic.
It’s time to come clean.
I’m done playing it cool with my movies.
I’m done melodramatically yawning
when the hero tells the girl he loves her.
Now more pretending my heart isn’t
a puddle of goo in my chest.
I’m don’t playing high-brow
when another cliché is on the screen.
I’m done.
I’m tired of pretending I’m cooler
than the movie reel.

Let me be frank with you.
I’m throwing down the gauntlet here.
If anyone dare snub their nose at me
I’ll gladly break it for them.

I love movies!
Summer blockbusters.
Low-budgets.
No-budgets.
Indies.
Comedies.
Dramas and
dramadies.
I love sappy romance flicks
and big-budget epics.
I love comic book movies
and novel adaptations.
I love clichéd ending,
heroic speeches
and robots that know kung-fu.
I love slow-motion fist fights
and awesome one-liners I can quote for days.
I love wizards
even they act emo and angsty.
I love vampires too!
I don’t care how much their acting sucks.
I support the phenomenon
that got a whole new generation
of 14 year old girls to read!
Sparkle on!
You won’t catch me
laughing at anyone else’s fandom.

Two thumbs up to anyone
who ever asked
for a lightsaber or phaser
for Christmas!
Because if the hero’s got the right swagger
I don’t care about the plot holes.
I don’t care if the effects budget
was 5 bucks
or 5 billion.
Just give me the money shot:
dawn,
breaking on the horizon
and into the frame
come a helicopter
or the hero
or the villain
or the plucky sidekick.

I love plucky sidekicks!
I love punch lines
and bad guys
and superheroes!
God bless the superheroes.

I don’t care if the movie
is intellectually stimulating enough
for the Academy.
The Academy
can kiss my butt.
When I pay my money
and park my rear
into that theater seat
I don’t want reality
projected on the big screen.
Spoon feed me fluff
if you have to.
If I wanted reality
I would have stayed at home.

I love movies

and if you have a problem
with my taste
take it up with someone who cares.
But for now,
just shut up.
The previews are about to start.

1 Comment:

  1. Kalford said...
    "Because if the hero’s got the right swagger
    I don’t care about the plot holes."
    - I love it, I love movies, maybe not as much as you do...I never asked for a lightsabber for christmas, I can't say I am that big of a fan of anything. Maybe I am I just know I can't pull offa pleather trench coat like the Matrix :) I think I just love stories, put me in someone else's shoes, let me feel what they feel, let me connect to something. Great insight!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home