My Childhood


I suppose there are many poets who would never say this, but I'm going to: my childhood was fun.

It wasn't until I was exposed to parents that aren't around very much that I realized how much my parents were there while I was growing up. Both worked full time, but they always had time for Matt and I.

My mother always talked to us. I'm referring to actual conversations. Yes, we may have only been six or seven but we always got to voice our opinions an thoughts on things. We were constantly talking and discussing, even if it was just the latest Ninja Turtles episode.

My father was a "do-er." An adventurer. I remember him, my brother and I all on our bicycles making the trek to the library. Or going swimming. Or laying in the floor with him watching TV. I don't remember what we would watch, but I do remember curling up behind his knees when he would lie on the couch.

I had an awesome childhood.

To this very day the sound of certain Motown songs gives me the urge to vacuum. This is because on "cleaning days" my mother would play music while we worked. One of her favorite CDs was "the 20 Greatest Hits in Motown History". We listened over and over.

I don't remember all of the cool toys that I had or every cartoon I ever watched. But I remember my parents being there, and being awesome. And really, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home